Kokomo City takes up a seemingly simple mantle: to present the stories of four Black transgender sex workers in New York and Georgia. Shot in striking black and white, the boldness of the facts of these women's lives and the earthquaking frankness they share complicate this enterprise, colliding the everyday with cutting social commentary and the excavation of long-dormant truths. Sharing reflections on knotty desire, far-reaching taboo, identification in labor, and gender’s many meanings, these women offer an unapologetic and cutting analysis of Black culture and society at large from a vantage point that is vibrating with energy, sex, challenge, and hard-earned wisdom. This vital portrait is the daring directorial debut of D. Smith. A veteran of the music industry and a Grammy-winner producer, singer, and songwriter, Smith brings her sonic skills into stunning harmony with a visual style whose grit and brassiness match the energy and spirit she elicits from her participants. Unfiltered, unabashed, and unapologetic, Smith and her subjects smash the trendy standard for authenticity, offering a refreshing rawness and vulnerability unconcerned with purity and politeness.
25th TiDF: Greek Premiere
No physical screenings scheduled.
- Direction: D. Smith
- Cinematography: D. Smith
- Editing: D. Smith
- Sound: Ric Schnupp
- Production: Couch Potatoe Pictures, Madison Square Films
- Producers: D.Smith, Harris Doran, Bill Butler
- Executive producer: Stacy Barthe, William Melillo
- Format: DCP
- Color: B/W
- Production Country: USA
- Production Year: 2023
- Duration: 73'
- Contact: Magnolia Pictures
- Awards/Distinctions: NEXT Innovator Award (presented by Adobe), Audience Award for NEXT– Sundance FF 2023, Panorama Dokumente Audience Award – Berlin International Film Festival 2023
2023 Kokomo City