Ukrainian surgeon Serhiy is captured by the Russian military forces in the conflict zone in Eastern Ukraine and while in captivity, he is exposed to horrifying scenes of humiliation, violence and indifference towards human life. After his release, he returns to his comfortable middle-class apartment and tries to find a purpose in life by rebuilding his relationship with his daughter and ex-wife. He learns how to be a human being again, how to be a father and help his daughter, who needs his love and support. A reflection on the traumas that strive to heal in the shadow of war.
- Direction: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Script: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Cinematography: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Editing: Valentyn Vasyanovych
- Sound: Serhiy Stepanskiy
- Actors: Roman Lutskiy, Nika Myslytska, Nadia Levchenko, Andriy Rymaruk, Ihor Shulha
- Production: Arsenal Films, ForeFilms
- Producers: Iya Myslytska, Valentyn Vasyanovych, Vladimir Yatsenko, Anna Sobolevska
- Costumes: Olena Harmanenko
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: Ukraine
- Production Year: 2021
- Duration: 128'
- Contact: New Europe Film Sales
Valentyn Vasyanovych is a director, producer, and DoP. He was born in 1971 in Zhytomyr, Ukraine. He graduated from the Karpenko-Kary National University of Theater, Film, and Televiision as a cinematographer (in 1995) and a documentary filmmaker (2000). In 2012, he made his debut feature film Business as Usual (Odessa International Film Festival, Special Jury Mention, FICC award). In 2019, the feature anti-utopia film Atlantis won the Best Film Award in Orizzonti at the 76th Venice International Film Festival and a large number of prizes and awards around the world. In 2021, his newest feature Reflection has been selected for Competition at the 78th Venice International Film Festival.
1998 Keepsake (doc)
2001 Old People (doc)
2004 Against the Sun (doc)
2012 Business as Usual
2014 Crepuscule (doc)
2017 Black Level