In the aftermath of her tumultuous relationship with a charismatic and manipulative older man, Julie begins to untangle her fraught love for him in making her graduation film, sorting fact from his elaborately constructed fiction. Joanna Hogg’s shimmering story of first love and a young woman’s formative years, The Souvenir: Part II is a portrait of the artist that transcends the halting particulars of everyday life – a singular, alchemic mix of memoir and fantasy. If Joanna Hogg’s The Souvenir: Part I played out like an indelible memory of intense love, the second chapter unfurls like the prelude to a dream.
- Direction: Joanna Hogg
- Script: Joanna Hogg
- Cinematography: David Raedeker
- Editing: Helle le Fevre
- Sound: Jovan Ajder, Howard Peryer
- Music: Ciara Elwis, Maggie Rodford
- Actors: Honor Swinton Byrne, Jaygann Ayweh, Richard Ayoade, Ariane Labed, Tilda Swinton
- Production: BBC Film, British Film Institute, JWH Films, Element Pictures
- Producers: Ed Guiney, Andrew Lowe, Emma Norton, Luke Schiller, Joanna Hog
- Costumes: Grace Snell
- Production Design: Stéphane Collonge
- Make Up: Siobhan Harper Ryan
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: United Kingdom
- Production Year: 2021
- Duration: 107'
- Contact: Protagonist Pictures
Joanna Hogg began to incessantly shoot experimental Super 8 films after borrowing a camera from her mentor Derek Jarman. She went on to study direction at the National School of Film and Television and her graduation piece Caprice starred a then-unknown Tilda Swinton. Hogg’s depiction of unarguably middle-class characters has prompted some commentators to see her work as spearheading a new type of social realism in British film. In 2019, the Thessaloniki IFF presented a tribute to her work.
1986 Caprice (short)
2003 EastEnders: Dot’s Story (TV)
2019 The Souvenir
2021 The Souvenir – Part II