An unknown facet of Mediterranean history is narrated through a strong female perspective, in a vivid portrait of a heroine from the past that inspires the future. Algeria, 1516. The pirate Aruj Barbarossa frees this land from the tyranny of the Spanish and seizes power over the kingdom. Rumor has it he murdered King Salim Toumi, despite their alliance. Against all odds, one woman will stand up to him: Queen Zaphira. Between history and legend, this woman’s journey tells of a struggle, of personal and political turmoil endured for the sake of a bigger cause.
- Direction: Damien Ounouri, Adila Bendimerad
- Script: Adila Bendimerad, Damien Ounouri
- Cinematography: Shadi Chaaban
- Editing: Matthieu Laclau, Yann-Shan Tsai
- Sound: Amine Teggar, Li-Dan Feng, Book Chien
- Music: Evgueni Galperine, Sacha Galperine
- Actors: Adila Bendimerad, Dali Benssalah, Tahar Zaoui, Imen Nouel, Nadia Tereszkiewicz
- Production: Taj Intaj, Agat Films
- Producers: Adila Bendimerad, Patrick Sobelman
- Co-production: CADC, Long Hu Bao
- Co-producers: Roger Huang, Justine O.
- Costumes: Jean-Marc Mireté
- Production Design: Feriel Gasmi Issiakhem
- Make Up: Samia Zitouni, Celia Oudni
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: Algeria, France, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Taiwan
- Production Year: 2022
- Duration: 113΄
- Contact: The Party Film Sales
Damien Ounouri is an Algerian director based in Algiers. He studied cinema theory, developing its practical application as a self-taught skill. His documentary Fidaï (2012), co-produced by the Chinese director Jia Zhang-Ke, had its premiere at the Toronto IFF and was shown in cinemas throughout France. His medium-length film Kindil El Bahr (2016) had its premiere at Directors’ Fortnight in Cannes and was broadcast on ARTE. He also directs video clips and commercials, teaches at cinematographic workshops, and is an Associate Producer for Taj Intaj (Algeria). The Last Queen is his first full-length feature film.
2012 Fidaï (doc)
2016 Kindil El Bahr (short)
2022 The Last Queen
Adila Bendimerad is an Algerian actress, scriptwriter, director, and producer, based in Algiers. In 2011, the actress (The Repentant, The Rooftops, Normal by Merzak Allouache, Still Burning by Georges Hachem) created the company Taj Iintaj in Algiers to promote young Algerian talent. Her production of The Days Before (2013) by Karim Moussaoui received worldwide acclaim, from Locarno Festival to her nomination for a César. Kindil El Bahr (2016) by Damien Ounouri was selected for the Directors’ Fortnight in Cannes. In co-production with Agat Films / Ex Nihilo (France), she produced The Last Queen, which she co-wrote and co-directed with Ounouri and in which she also takes on the lead role as Queen Zaphira.
2022 The Last Queen