Building a White Cube, an art museum, on a former Unilever plantation in Congo is a collaboration between a cooperative of plantation workers and Dutch artist Renzo Martens to jump-start a local economy. The plantation workers make sculptures that are reproduced in chocolate, and then successfully exhibited in New York. They use the profits from their art sales to buy back the land that was stolen from them and turn it into inclusive and ecological gardens.
23rd TDF: Greek Premiere
No physical screenings scheduled.
- Direction: Renzo Martens
- Script: Renzo Martens
- Cinematography: Renzo Martens, Dareck Tuba Hans Bouma, Martin Kramer, Daan Wallis, Remco Bikkers, Louise van Assche, Eric Vander Borght, Jean Counet, Deschamps Matala, Lisa Perez, Boaz van der Spek"
- Editing: Boaz van der Spek, Eric Vander Borght. Jos de Putter, Jan de Coster
- Sound: Papy Bambole-Kandole, Dareck Tuba, Philippe Benoit / Ranko Pauković (σχεδιασμός)
- Production: Pieter van Huystee Film
- Co-production: Inti Films
- Narration: Renzo Martens, Irene Kane, Matthieu Kasiama, Rene Ngongo
- Format: Digital File
- Color: Color
- Production Country: The Netherlands, Belgium, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Production Year: 2020
- Duration: 79΄
- Contact: FILMS TRANSIT INC, Jan Rofekamp, John Nadai
2020 White Cube