War Pony follows the interlocking stories of two young Oglala Lakota men growing up on the Pine Ridge Reservation. At 23, Bill just wants to make something of himself. Whether it’s delivering goods or breeding Poodles, he is determined to hustle his way to the “American Dream.” Meanwhile, 12-year-old Matho can’t wait to become a man. Desperate for approval from his young father, a series of impulsive decisions turns Matho’s life upside down and he finds himself unequipped to deal with the harsh realities of the adult world. Bound by their shared search for belonging, each of the boys grapple with identity, family, and loss, as they navigate their unique paths to manhood.
- Direction: Gina Gammell, Riley Keough
- Script: Franklin Sioux Bob, Bill Reddy, Riley Keough, Gina Gammell
- Cinematography: David Gallego
- Editing: Affonso Gonçalves, Eduardo Serrano, Ernie Gilbert
- Music: Christopher Stracey, Mato Wayuhi
- Actors: Jojo Bapteise Whiting, Ladainian Crazy Thunder
- Production: Felix Culpa, Caviar
- Producers: Willi White, Bert Hamelinck, Ryan Zacarias, Sacha Ben Harroche, Riley Keough, Gina Gammell
- Co-production: Protagonist Pictures, Quickfire Films, Ward Four, Centauri, Kaleidoscope Entertainment
- Costumes: Miyako Bellizzi, Alex Lee
- Production Design: Scout Dougan
- Executive producer: Pte San Win Poor Bear
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: USA
- Production Year: 2022
- Duration: 115΄
- Contact: Protagonist Pictures
- Awards/Distinctions: Golden Camera – Cannes Film Festival 2022, Jury Price – Deauville Film Festival 2022, Propeller of Motovun – Motovun Film Festival 2022, CineVision Award/Honorable Mention – Munich Film Festival 2022
Gina Gammell started out producing and directing short-format music videos and commercials. In 2017 Gina produced her first feature film, in 2018 she founded Felix Culpa with Riley, and in 2019 she co-wrote and started shooting her first feature film, War Pony. Gina is currently in post-production on Felix Culpa’s second production, John Trengove’s Manodrome, starring Jesse Eisenberg, Adrien Brody, and Odessa Young.
2022 War Pony
Riley Keough is best known for her roles in George Miller’s Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), Amy Seimetz & Lodge Kerrigan’s The Girlfriend Experience (2016), Andrea Arnold’s American Honey (2016), Steven Soderbergh’s Logan Lucky (2017), Wash Westmoreland’s Earthquake Bird (2019), and Antonio Campos’s Devil All the Time (2020). American Honey garnered Riley an Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Supporting Female and The Girlfriend Experience earned her a Golden Globe nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television. Riley’s 2021 releases include Janicza Bravo’s Zola and Hello Sunshine’s highly anticipated Amazon series Daisy and the SIx.
2022 War Pony