Elli is an android in the body of a little girl, living with a man she calls “father,” whose memories she has been programmed to share. One idle summer night, she sets off to the woods, summoned by a fading echo. A cinematic reverie that submerses us into a world of riddles and voids, challenging the absolute authority of memory. Deprived of this identity-defining mechanism, human existence can only succumb to the chaos of meaninglessness.
- Direction: Sandra Wollner
- Script: Sandra Wollner, Roderick Warich
- Cinematography: Timm Kröger
- Editing: Hannes Bruun
- Sound: Peter Kutin
- Music: David Schweighart, Peter Kutin
- Actors: Lena Watson, Dominik Warta, Ingrid Burkhard, Jana McKinnon, Simon Hatzl
- Production: Panama Film
- Producer/Producers: Lixi Frank, David Bohun
- Co-production: The Barricades, ZDF / Das Kleine Fernsehspiel, Filmakademie Baden-Württemburg
- Co-producer/Co-producers: Andi G Hess, Astrid Schäfer, Viktoria Stolpe, Timm Kröger
- Sets: Pia Jaros
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: Austria, Germany
- Production Year: 2020
- Duration: 94'
- Contact: Cercamon Dorian Magagnin (Cercamon World Sales) email@example.com
- Awards/Distinctions: Encounters Award - Special Jury Prize – Berlin IFF 2020
Sandra Wollner was born in 1983 in Styria, Austria. For her first feature film The Impossible Picture she received the German Film Critics‘ Award in 2019. The Trouble with Being Born is her graduation film at the Film Academy Baden-Wuerttemberg.
2016 Heart-Shaped Box (short)
2016 Das unmögliche Bild | The Impossible Picture
2020 The Trouble with Being Born