Calm, taciturn teenager Venera lives in a small village in Kosovo. At home, three generations are constantly under one another’s feet in their cramped house, so she has hardly any privacy. Outside too, on the streets and in the café, it’s not much better: the village is small and there’s always a brother, nephew or neighbor keeping a beady eye on her. A girl is expected above all else to protect her good reputation – and that of her family. All of which makes it difficult for Venera to go her own way. Her spirits are lifted when she makes friends with rebellious Dorina, who already has a boyfriend. The two girls go out having fun together, as far as Venera’s father allows. One thing they know for sure: they don’t want to end up like their mothers. “I’ve never even seen my parents kiss,” Venera says.
- Direction: Norika Sefa
- Script: Norika Sefa
- Cinematography: Luis Armando Arteaga
- Editing: Stefan Stabenow, Norika Sefa
- Sound: Risto Alchinov
- Actors: Kosovare Krasniqi, Rozafa Celaj, Erjona Kakeli, Basri Lushtaku
- Production: Circle Production
- Producers: Besnik Krapi
- Co-production: In My Country Postproductions House
- Co-producers: Igor Popovski, Dejan Krajcevski, Gazmend Nela
- Costumes: Desantila Lika
- Production Design: Arben Shala
- Make Up: Lidona Berisha
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: Kosovo*, North Macedonia
- Production Year: 2021
- Duration: 111'
- Contact: Film Republic
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSC Resolution 1244/1999 and the ICJ opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Norika Sefa is a Kosovo-born filmmaker. Her films are heterogeneous in style, merging fiction and documentary, pieces that create atmosphere rather than stick to a conventional narrative. Recently she made Kiss Me, Now (2020), along with Desde Arriba (2020), two hybrid documentaries. The last one was made under the guidance of Werner Herzog in Peruvian jungle. Looking for Venera (2021) is her first feature film, which premiered at Rotterdam IFF, winning the Special Jury award in the Tiger Competition.
2016 Flutter (short doc)
2019 Desde Arriba (short doc)
2020 Kiss me, Now (short doc)
2021 Looking for Venera