The employer is a young man who apparently has everything going on for him except one pressing concern: his baby’s health. The employee is looking for a job to support his newborn too, so he does not hesitate when the former decides to hire him to work in his lands, even if he lacks the experience. They will both meet their needs by helping each other. But one day an accident happens... This unexpected event will strain the ties between them, endangering the fate of the two families.
- Direction: Manuel Nieto Zas
- Script: Manuel Nieto Zas
- Cinematography: Arauco Hernández Holz
- Editing: Pablo Riera
- Sound: Catriel Vildosola
- Music: Holocausto Vegetal, Buenos Muchachos
- Actors: Nahuel Pérez Biscayart, Cristian Borges, Justina Bustos
- Production: Roken Films
- Producers: Manuel Nieto, Bárbara Francisco, Georgina Baisch, Cecilia Salim, Paola Wink, Michael Wahrmann, Julia Alves, Nathalie Trafford
- Co-production: Pasto, Murillo Cine, Vulcana, Sancho&Punta, Paraíso Production
- Costumes: Lucía Gasconi
- Production Design: Alejandro Castiglioni, Nicole Davrieux
- Format: DCP
- Color: Color
- Production Country: Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, France
- Production Year: 2021
- Duration: 107'
- Contact: Latido Films
Manuel Nieto Zas
Manuel Nieto Zas (Montevideo, 1972) is part of the new generation of Uruguayan cinema. In 2006, he wrote and directed his debut feature film, La Perrera (The Dog Pound), which won the Tiger Award at the Rotterdam Film Festival. It was followed by El lugar del hijo (The Militant, 2013), which – in addition to writing and directing – he also produced. It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and won, among other awards, the Fipresci Award at the Havana Film Festival. The Employer and the Employee won the Egeda Award at San Sebastian Film Festival in 2020 and had its Premiere at the Quinzaine earlier this year.
2006 La Perrera | The Dog Pound
2013 El Lugar del hijo | The Militant
2021 The Employer and the Employee