The first feature length portrait of the controversial American artist Robert Mapplethorpe since his death from AIDS in 1989. His first solo exhibition in 1976 already unveils his subjects: flowers, portraits and nudes. Mapplethorpe quickly gains notoriety through his explicitly sexual photographs from the gay sadomasochistic scene as well as nude pictures of black men. The one thing more outrageous than Robert Mapplethorpe’s photographs was his life. Given unrestricted access to Mapplethorpe’s archives, the directors reveal a series of rediscovered, never before heard interviews. This is the unique portrait of an artist with a bold vision.
No scheduled screenings.
- Cinematography: Huy Truong, Mario Panagiotopoulos
- Editing: Langdon F. Page
- Music: David Benjamin Steinberg
- Production: Film Manufacturers Inc., World of Wonder
- Producer/Producers: Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato, Katharina Otto-Bernstein, Mona Card
- Format: Color
- Production Country: USA
- Production Year: 2016
- Duration: 109
- World Sales: Dogwoof email@example.com