Crossroads Co-production Forum: November 5th - 9th, 2023
The Crossroads Co-production Forum selects projects in development and its objective is to support fiction films which have a link to the Mediterranean regions and Southeastern Europe by introducing them to a network of financiers, co-producers and leading industry specialists from all over the world, during a 4-day event in Thessaloniki.
Here is a selection of successful films: INSHALLAH A BOY - France, Jordan, KSA, Qatar (Cannes FF - Semaine de la Critique 2023), BLACKBIRD BLACKBIRD BLACKBERRY - Switzerland, Germany, Georgia (Cannes FF - Quinzaine des Cinéastes 2023), THE SEA AND ITS WAVES - France, Lebanon (Cannes FF - ACID Cannes 2023), 20.000 SPECIES OF BEES - Spain (73rd Berlinale International Competition 2023 - Silver Berlin Bear/Best Leading Performance), NIGHTSIREN - Slovak Republic, Czech Republic (Locarno FF - Cineasti del Presente 2022 - Golden Leopard), HOW IS KATIA? - Ukraine (Locarno FF, Cineasti del Presente 2022 - Special Jury Prize, Best Actress), THE LAND WITHIN - Switzerland, Kosovo, France (Black Nights Tallinn -Best Film - Best First Feature) LUZZU - Malta, USA (Sundance - World Cinema Dramatic Competition 2021 - Best Actor), ZUHAL - Turkey (Black Nights Tallinn - International Competition 2021), 200 METERS - Palestine, Italy, Turkey, Sweden, Jordan (Venice Days 2020 - People’s Choice Award), GHOSTS - Turkey, France, Qatar (Venice FF International Film Critics Week - Grand Prize), ALL THIS VICTORY - Lebanon, France (Venice FF - International Film Critics Week 2019 - Best Film & Audience Award), THE FATHER - Bulgaria, Greece (Karlovy Vary IFF - International Competition 2019 - Crystal Globe), THE CAKEMAKER - Israel, Germany (Karlovy Vary IFF - International Competition 2017 - Ecumenical Jury Award), CHARLESTON - Romania, France (Locarno FF - International Competition 2017), HEAVEN SENT - Lebanon, France (Cannes FF - ACID Cannes 2017), SECRET INGREDIENT - N. Macedonia, Greece (Black Nights Tallinn - International Competition, Thessaloniki IFF - Audience Award 2017), KING OF THE BELGIANS - Belgium, Netherlands, Bulgaria (Venice FF - Orrizonti), TRAMONTANE - Lebanon, France, Qatar, UAE (Cannes FF - Semaine de la Critique 2016), PARK - Greece, Poland (San Sebastian FF - New Director’s Award 2016), AS I OPEN MY EYES - France, Tunisia, Belgium, UAE (Venice FF - Venice Days 2015- Label Europa Cinemas Award & LUX Prize Nominee), MUSTANG - France, Turkey, Germany (Cannes FF - Director’s Fortnight 2015- Label Europa Cinemas, LUX Prize Winner, Oscar Nomination for Best Foreign Film), EVERYBODY IN OUR FAMILY - Romania, Netherlands (Sarajevo FF - Heart of Sarajevo 2012), BEYOND THE HILL - Turkey, Greece (Berlinale 2012 - Caligari Film Award), WHEN I SAW YOU - Palestine, Jordan, Greece, UAE (Toronto FF, Berlinale - Netpac Award 2012), THE POLICEMAN - France, Israel (Locarno FF - International Competition - Special Jury Prize), AJAMI - Germany, Israel, UK (Cannes FF - Director’s Fortnight - Caméra d'Or - Special Distinction 2009, Oscar Nomination for Best Foreign Language Film) and many more.
A. What are Crossroads Co-production Forum’s main selection criteria?
B. Which countries are eligible to apply?
Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kosovo*, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, North Macedonia, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine.
Guest country: Lithuania
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Countries not mentioned in the above list can still apply if they are co-produced by a country within these regions or contain elements in the story that link them to these regions. Projects not coming from one of the above-mentioned countries who think that Crossroads Co-production Forum is a good springboard for them, may still apply. The Selection Committee will review and evaluate all submitted projects.
C. What is the application procedure?
Submissions must be received by July 3rd, 2023.
The application and additional material should be submitted in English - unless indicated otherwise.
The application must include:
Applicants should submit the Application Forum (in English) in order for the project to be considered for selection. Please make sure to complete the form thoroughly. Once you have completed the online form you cannot make changes. Elements from the application form will be used for catalogue information should your project be selected.
Materials must be in one PDF file and attached to the online application form.
The PDF must include:
- One (1) page synopsis.
- The latest treatment in English (and Greek if it is a Greek production).
- The script in English (and Greek if it is a Greek production). In case a script is not available yet, one can submit a treatment.
- Biography/filmography of the director.
- Biography/filmography of the producer.
- Director’s statement addressing the story and the visual style.
- Producer’s statement about the financial strategy and audience outreach.
- Budget topsheet.
- Financing plan.
- A list of confirmed financing for the project (if available).
- Rights agreement between the director and the producer or a letter from the director stating that the particular producer will be representing the project.
- Previous film of the director (online in a secure link with password).
- Mood board / Mood video (if available).
D. Key Dates:
E. General Rules and Guidelines:
Crossroads Co-production Forum is open to a variety of projects and is flexible when considering its aspects. It has no rigid rules and each individual project will be considered on its own merits. However, there are certain rules that we operate under:
- The application materials and subtitles should be in English (except script and treatment which can be in Greek)
- We accept only feature film projects (over 60 minutes).
- We accept all genres except feature documentaries.
- Projects that have at least national (development) funding or third-party investment secured when submitted, will have priority.
- One production company or producer can submit up to two projects.
- A production company or producer can re-submit a project that was previously not selected, if there have been substantial changes in the script and overall presentation package.
- A project should mention any other workshops and markets it has been previously presented and when, or if it is a new project.
- The budget of the film should not exceed 1.8 million euro.
- The projects are evaluated by at least two readers. The final decision of selection is the one of the Head of Agora in accordance with the Festival administration.
- The number of selected projects is up to sixteen (16).
F. What happens if my project is selected?
G. Crossroads Co-production Forum Awards include:
> TIFF64 Crossroads Co-production Application Form - Αpplications are now closed.
Submissions Deadline: July 3rd, 2023